Managing A Reputational Crisis For Genetics Lab's COVID Testing Program
AdvaGenix is a CLIA-certified genetics laboratory in Rockville, Maryland.
Communications & Media
Political & Legal Team Management
With expertise in diagnostic testing, AdvaGenix sought and was approved by the FDA to conduct Covid-19 PCR testing soon after the pandemic started. It subsequently received a lucrative testing contract with Montgomery County, Maryland. Due to a disagreement between regulatory bodies about the lab’s testing procedures as approved under the FDA’s emergency use authorization, AdvaGenix was ordered by the state of Maryland to cease Covid-19 testing.
AdvaGenix hired HPS to assemble a team of outside advisors, stem the tide of incoming media attention and develop a strategic plan that reinstates the company’s certification to test.
Working directly with the CEO and COO, HPS:
- Hired and managed outside legal and political counsel
- Established clear workflow processes between legal, communications, and political advisory teams
- Drafted proactive and reactive public statements, conducted media training and handled all media monitoring and rapid response needs
- Helped guide the company through the complex and evolving regulatory guidelines for Covid-19 testing.
- Developed a forward plan for the business to resume testing and pursue new business opportunities.
HPS Creative also led the company through a brand elevation process that included a website redesign and new business development materials.
With HPS’ help, AdvaGenix saved their business and resumed patient testing by:
- Immediately shifting the media narrative surrounding the company
- Amending its relationship with local governments, businesses, and residents
- Returning to full compliance with federal and state health authorities and resume COVID testing
- Developing a collection of new digital and print marketing materials
- Conducting business development outreach to nearly 500 potential customers, including nursing homes, sports teams and private schools across the country.